Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Peasread: The Austen Escape


The Austen Escape
Katherine Reay
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (November 7, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0718078098
ISBN-13: 978-0718078096

Book description from publisher:
Falling into the past will change their futures forever.
Mary Davies finds safety in her ordered and productive life. Working as an engineer, she genuinely enjoys her job and her colleagues – particularly a certain adorable and intelligent consultant. But something is missing. When Mary’s estranged childhood friend, Isabel Dwyer offers her a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in England, she reluctantly agrees in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in just the right ways.
But Mary gets more than she bargained for when Isabel loses her memory and fully believes she lives in Jane Austen’s Bath. While Isabel rests and delights in the leisure of a Regency lady, attended by the other costume-clad guests, Mary uncovers startling truths about their shared past, who Isabel was, who she seems to be, and the man who now stands between them.
Outings are undertaken, misunderstandings play out, and dancing ensues as this company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation, work out their lives and hearts.

This was a delightful read. The characters are well developed and likable, or (some) pitiable once you learn more about their history.  I liked Mary's character. She faces tough decisions and trials throughout the book. She may not be perfect, but the way she handles each trial is a credit to her character. Her friend Isabel is one of those girls you kind of want to hate, but there's so much pain in her past that you are reminded that everyone needs kindness and love in their lives, and we all need forgiveness.  There are other characters in this book that were also so interesting and while they were not main characters I liked that Katherine Reay gave them page time. Many of them had discoveries of their own along the way that made me feel that happy endings weren't just for the main characters. I don't want to give any spoilers so I'm avoiding naming all the characters. Nathan, the man that stands between Isabel and Mary is a sweet but strong type. He doesn't come in like a storm and sweep anyone off their feet. He has sweet steadiness is so endearing.
The way the setting is described in this book makes you want to book a stay at this gorgeous manor in England. Is it a real place? If not it should be! From the setting, to the costumes, to the Austen references. I enjoyed every bit of this book. Even if you aren't a die hard Austen (Jane, of course) fan this is a fun, clean romance.

Would I read it again? Yes.
Would I recommend it? Yes.
Clean read? Yes.

Rating: 4 stars 
1 star – didn’t like it
2 stars – it was OK
3 stars – liked it
 4 stars – really liked it
5 stars – it was amazing

Find more book reviews here under Peasreads.
Amazon reviews Katereviews.
 I received this book from NetGalley. I was under no obligation to give a positive review. All opinions are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.