Thursday, July 27, 2017

New England Boiled Dinner (Corned Beef)

New England Boiled Dinner
It used to be that I was the only one around here that liked Corned beef, then my oldest liked it. Now There are three of us here who like it. My oldest, my middle, and myself. My youngest likes the veggies and will eat those very happily. I stocked up on Corned beef because it was a great price and I have never made one myself from just a beef brisket. I keep saying I'm going to and I never get around to it. Maybe next year. The best part about a New England Boiled dinner is of course leftovers! It's delicious the night of, with tender veggies nom nom. But sandwiches the next day... or everything chopped up and heated in a skillet and topped with a fried egg. That is why I like to make extra, or have extra on hand!
I discovered that cooking this in and electric pressure cooker is the way to go. It's perfect because I can cook the beef from frozen or thawed in just a little over and hour. After that the vegetables take about 7-10 minutes depending on how big you cut them. I think that's my favorite part. I used to cook everything on the crock pot/ slow cooker. The problem with that is the whole house smells like corned beef. Great for the people who like it, not so much for the people who don't. Then you had to put the vegetables in and time it. There's no need to check the beef an hour out and add vegetables with the pressure cooker.
Corned Beef Brisket spices.
 The spices I add are in this picture, except the cinnamon pictured. I don't always add that. I find I don't like the Corned Beef with cinnamon.
Starting with the spices that come with the Corned Beef  in the big tablespoon on the top left of the picture going clockwise:
Coriander seed
All Spice berries
Anise seed
Cinnamon 
Black peppercorns
Ginger, fresh, dried, or ground is okay
Caraway seed
Fennel seed
In the center of the picture above:
Bay leaves
Garlic cloves
Cloves
Green Cardamom pods
Dried Sanaam Chili Peppers (not traditional but I like spice)

Corned Beef Brisket packs read for the freezer.
I bought these Corned Beef briskets and repackaged them. I rinsed them well with cold water, place them in the foodsaver bags with the spices. The reason I do this is so that I can pull it out of the freezer and cook it from frozen if I use my electric pressure cooker. No need to thaw and rinse. So easy peasy! Now we can have yummy New England Boiled dinners throughout the year!

New England Boiled Dinner (Corned Beef)

Corned Beef Brisket (4-5 pounds), rinsed with cold water and drain/discard water
4 cups water
Spices as pictured above/listed below
1 small cabbage
3 carrots
3-4 medium Yukon gold potatoes

Spices (Add or omit spices to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon All Spice berries
1/4 teaspoon Anise seed
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon chips, or 1 stick about 1 inch
1 teaspoon whole Black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon Ginger, fresh, dried, or ground is okay
Caraway seed
Fennel seed
In the center of the picture above:
Bay leaves
Garlic cloves
Cloves
Green Cardamom pods
Dried Sanaam Chili Peppers (not traditional but I like spice)
*Measurements are approximate for spices.

Instant Pot Method:

  1. Place the Corned Beef fat side up into the pot.
  2. Add spices on top.
  3. Pour water on the sides of the beef.
  4. Set the Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH pressure for 70-75 minutes. Let the beef cook.
  5. While the beef is cooking wash and prepare the vegetables. Cut the cabbage into 6 equal pieces, removing the core.
  6. Peel and cut the carrots into big pieces around 3 inches. They cook fast so you don't want them to turn to mush while the potatoes are rock hard.
  7. Cut the potatoes in to approximately 2 inch pieces.
  8. Let the pot naturally release pressure for 15 minutes, then carefully open the lid.
  9. Take the beef out of the pot and set it aside OR
  10. If it is not cooked through and only needs a little more time to cook leave the beef in the pot.
  11. Remove all but 1-1.5 cups of cooking liquid from the pot.
  12. Place potatoes in a steamer basket or on the trivet that came with the Instant Pot.
  13. Close the lid and cook on MANUAL, HIGH pressure, for 4-5 minutes. Depending on how big your potatoes are, you want them partially cooked. 
  14. Carefully release pressure.
  15. Add carrots and cabbage, and cook  with potatoes on MANUAL HIGH for  ZERO to three minutes. I don't like my cabbage and carrots too soft.
  16. Release the pressure carefully after about 3-5 minutes.
  17. Discard most of the cooking liquid (save a little for serving with the beef).
  18. Discard whole spices.
  19. Slice beef serve with grainy mustard and vegetables. We like the vegetables with a pat of butter on top.

Slow Cooker Method


  1. Place beef into the slow cooker fat side up.
  2. Add spices on top.
  3. Pour into the slow cooker just until the beef is almost covered.
  4. Set the slow cooker to high for 4.5-5 hours, or about 6-7 hours on low.
  5. Add the vegetables in with the beef about 45 minutes until cooking time is done on high. On low add the vegetables about 1.5 hours before the beef is done cooking.
  6. Discard most of the cooking liquid (save a little for serving with the beef).
  7. Discard whole spices.
  8. Slice beef serve with grainy mustard and vegetables. We like the vegetables with a pat of butter on top.

*Measurements are approximate for spices. I usually just toss spices in, I used the spoons for the picture so I ended up using these exact measurements for all five of the Corned Beef packets I put in the freezer. Except cinnamon, as stated before I don't add cinnamon.
* Instant Pot Method- If your piece of Corned Beef is frozen or thick, 2 inches, add 5-6 minutes to the cooking time.



Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.