Sunday, May 21, 2017

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs


Here is a quick Whole30 Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs for you. I find the easiest way to cook the spaghetti squash is in the Instant Pot. It can be cooked ahead of time and heated in the oven while the meatballs cook in the sauce. I prep the meatballs ahead of time also, they can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days or put in the freezer. I have not baked the meatballs from frozen, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would have to adjust the time and add a little water to the sauce so it doesn't burn or dry out.
This was a big hit with my family. Everyone loved the meatballs. They aren't as tender as meatballs that have a bread crumb in them to me, but no one in my family said a word about it. My youngest isn't the biggest fan of spaghetti squash though. The meatballs would work with zucchini noodles also.


Related posts
Other noodle "replacement" posts
Zucchini/ Squash for Spaghetti
Daikon for Curry Noodle bowls
Zucchini for Chicken Paprikash 

Click to find more Whole 30

recipes here on Give Peas A Chance, or use the search function. 


Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

2 pounds lean ground beef, lamb, chicken, or turkey (or a combination)
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
1 small onion chopped
2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
Salt
Pepper
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves

To cook meatballs:
3-4 cups red sauce, homemade or store bought
2 small spaghetti squash, halved and cooked

Garnish:
Basil leaves

  1. Mix ingredients lightly.
  2. Form into meatballs.
  3. Pan fry to brown in oil or bake in a 400 degree oven until brown on all sides. (Freeze, or cook meatballs in the next step.)
  4. Place meatballs in a baking dish, and pour red sauce over them, add up to 1/4 cup of water if you like it more saucy. 
  5. Cover tightly with foil.
  6. Drizzle spaghetti squash halves with olive oil or ghee.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 degrees along with face up spaghetti squash halves.
  8. Serve over spaghetti squash, and garnish with fresh basil.
If you are not cooking the spaghetti squash before hand, split it and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and put them in the oven while making the meatballs. Keep them roasting in the oven throughout the whole process.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.