Monday, April 12, 2010

Roasted Chickpeas/Garbonzo

My girls and I love these. Diva and Piglet said they were better than popcorn. Can't beat that. They are high in protein and get so crunchy. You can season with anything you want, curry powder, Chinese Five Spice, South African Five Spice, Za'tar, cumin, chili powders, any Love Abounds rubs,  whatever.
For the chickpeas you can used canned OR soak your peas overnight. Then gently boil them the next day.


Roasted Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans

Chickpeas/garbanzo beans (cooked)
Olive oil 1-2 tablespoons
seasoning



Rinse and drain cooked chickpeas. I used two cans.
Preheat the oven to 375.


I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Seasoned with kosher salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Toss the chickpeas to make sure they are coated.
 You can use butter, but I like the olive oil. I wouldn't omit the oil though it is what gets them crisp.
Spread them out on a cookie sheet (you can line with parchment I didn't, I used a stone pan that preheated with the oven.) Make sure they are only one layer and not too tightly packed in there.


Cook them for about 45 minutes, or until crunchy. Stirring occasionally. They will get darker in color, shrink a bit and get crisp. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container if you need to store them at all.



Roasted Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans

 2 cans (Approximately) 15 ounces each Chickpeas/garbanzo beans (cooked)
Olive oil 1-2 tablespoons
Seasoning: such as salt, pepper, seasoned salts etc



  1. Preheat the oven to 375.
  2. Rinse and drain cooked chickpeas. 
  3. Toss with oil.
  4. Season to taste.
  5. Toss the chickpeas to make sure they are coated.
  6. Spread them out on a rimmed cookie sheet.
  7. Make sure they are only one layer and not too tightly packed in there.
  8. Cook them for about 45 minutes, or until crunchy. Stirring occasionally. They will get darker in color, shrink a bit and get crisp.
  9. Cool completely.
  10. Store in an air tight container.


To cook dried/raw chickpeas in an Instant Pot:



  1. Place chickpeas in the insert.
  2. Add water until the peas are covered about one inch.
  3. If the chickpeas were soaked over night, rinse and cook on HP for 20-25 minutes.
  4. If they were not soaked, just rinsed and picked over, cook on HP 35-40 minutes.
  5. Let the pot release pressure for 15 minutes naturally.
  6. I will say I prefer them soaked overnight. I just like the texture better.


Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.